Abhyangam is the basic massage in Ayurveda treatment. The meaning of Abhyangam in Sanskrit is oil massage.
Abhyangam involves the application of medicated oil all over the body followed by massage by a trained therapist. Ayurveda recommends that abhyangam be performed as a dinacharya, i.e. on a daily basis to prevent disease and ageing. The massage is performed keeping the body in seven different positions, using lukewarm medicated oil.
Duration Of Therapy
The duration of abhyangam may vary from 20-40 min depending on the constitution and condition of the individual.
Dhanwantaram thailam, Prabhanjanavimardanam thailam, Ksheerabala thailam, Karpoora thailam, Sahacharadi thailam, Bala thailam etc. are some of the medicated oils used for abhyangam. The medicated oil chosen for treatment depends on the individual’s constitution and condition.
- Helps to balance the doshas
- Stimulates blood circulation
- Relieves stiffness of joints
- Tones muscles and softens skin
- Provides relief from anxiety and fatigue
- Effective for arthritic problems, injuries and muscular pain
- Rejuvenates and refreshes both body and mind