'Ksheera' means milk and 'dhara' means a stream of liquid. Here lukewarm medicated milk is made to flow at a slow and consistent rate over the forehead (the glabellar region) for a particular duration; along with simultaneous soft massage.
For ksheera dhara on head, a thin strip of cloth (varthi) is tied around the head just above the eyebrows. The medicated milk is heated till it becomes lukewarm. This lukewarm milk is poured into the dhara vessel placed above the forehead of the individual lying supine in the paathy(massage table). The milk is then made to flow in a continuous and constant stream starting over the glabellar region, and from the forehead to the scalp and hair. The process is accompanied by gentle relaxing massage. Ksheera dhara may be done for a specific body part or for the entire body.
Duration Of Therapy
The duration of treatment varies from 30 to 45 minutes. The treatment is prescribed for 7 days, 14 days etc depending on the patient’s condition.
Different herbs are used in the in-house preparation of Ksheera dhara. The herbs are selected based on the patient’s constitution.
- Highly beneficial for vata and pitta-predominant conditions like headaches, stress, insomnia and anxiety
- Nourishes the skin and gives a lustrous appearance
- Relieves pain and spasms of muscles and joints and has been proven effective in certain cases of arthritis
- Effective in certain neurological conditions especially those accompanied by burning sensation and numbness
- Rejuvenates and nourishes the entire body. It is therefore done as a therapy even for a healthy person in certain seasons.