Nasyam involves administration of medicine through the nostrils. Nostrils are considered as the the doorway to the head. Nasyam is highly effective for cleansing the areas above the shoulder - the nose, throat, sinuses and head.
The face, shoulder and chest are massaged softly with medicated oil and subjected to swedanam (steam). Next a medicated oil or herbal powder is instilled into the nostrils and drawn in forcefully. The individual is then instructed to lie in the same position and spit out the 'kapha' as it comes out. As a paschat karma (post-treatment ritual), medicated smoke is given for inhalation (dhoomapanam) and mouth gargling is done.
Duration Of Therapy
The total duration of the treatment is around 30-50 mins.
Anu thailam, Ksheerabala 101 avarthy, Maharajaprasarini thailam and Kumkumadi thailam are some of the oils used for Nasyam. Type of medicated oil and its quantity is decided by the physician according to the condition of the individual. This treatment is done for a course of 7 days or 14 days.
- Improves circulation to the parts above the shoulder
- Dilates the bronchioles and cures conditions like dyspnoea, asthma etc.
- Nourishes the tissues and improves sense organ perceptions
- Effective for conditions like facial paralysis, migraine and sinusitis
- Helps in preventing hair loss and hair greying
- Brings a glow on the face