Thaila dhara or pizhichil is one of the common forms of Keraleeya ayurveda chikitsa. It is the procedure in which a continuous stream of lukewarm medicated oil is poured over the affected area or the entire body.
Three trained therapists are required for the treatment; one for warming the oil while the other two pour warm medicated oil over the affected area continuously in a rhythmic stream. The pouring of medicated oil is followed by mild massage.
Duration Of Therapy
A treatment session varies from 30 to 45 minutes. It may be continued for 7 days, 14 days etc. depending on the patient’s condition.
Dhanwantharam tailam, Bala tailam, Prabhanjanavimardana tailam, Sahacharadi tailam, Narayana thailam etc. are some of the medicated oils used for taila dhara or pizhichil. Medicated oils may also be used in combination. Selection of medicines is strictly based on the advice of the physician after detailed consultation.
- Useful in treating rheumatic complaints, arthritis, neurological disorders and paralysis
- Promotes proper blood circulation and rejuvenates the body
- Improves skin texture and complexion
- Combats depression and delays aging
- Rejuvenates body and mind