The procedure popularly known as Elakkizhi or Pachakkizhi (colloquial) is the treatment given to an individual using a bolus prepared with herbs.
Fresh herbal leaves are used for this treatment. The generally used herbs are Calotropis gigantea, Ricinus communis, Vitex negundo, Moringa oleifera and Tamarind. The choice of herb depends on the individual's condition.
The herbal leaves are cut into small pieces, fried in medicated oil along with coconut scrapings and lemon and tied in a suitable cloth to be made into a bolus. The bolus is then heated in a pan with a small quantity of medicated oil and applied as light punches over the entire body or a specific body part. The bolus is reheated as often as necessary to maintain its temperature throughout the procedure.
Duration Of Therapy
The treatment may vary from 30 to 40 minutes depending upon the individual's condition.
Dhanwantaram thailam, Prabhanjanavimardanam thailam, Sahacharadi thailam, Murivenna, Karpooradi thailam and Kottamchukkadi thailam are mainly used. A combination of medicated oils may be used according to the patient's condition as instructed by the physician.
- Alleviates sore muscles and joints
- Lubricates joints, strengthens muscles and relieves back ache.
- Effective in various types of arthritis, spondylitis, lumbago, frozen shoulder, sciatica, post paralytic spasm, sports injuries and other spastic and inflammatory conditions
- Enhances blood circulation and expels toxins through sweat
- Helps in toning and rejuvenating the body